Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Talk To The Hand That Gives Power

When I was 7 years old, my two cousins and I would walk to the neighborhood church to attend the Sunday services. One day, we decided that we would give our lives to Christ. We were baptized and continued to attend the church for Sunday service as well as other functions. I had no idea at the time as to why I gave my life to Christ at such an early age but I’m glad I did. As I got older, I began to look back over my life and while praying, I asked God to reveal to me why he chose to save me at an early age and this is what he showed me. He let me see all of the various issues I had to deal with as a child that could have had me in a mental institution if I didn’t know who He was and who I was in Him. He let me see that as I began reading the Bible how blessed I was. I read the whole Bible through 4 different times and in 3 different versions, the King James, the English and the New International Version. When the church would have Bible games, he let me see that he empowered me to win every time because I was diligent in reading the Word and memorizing scriptures. He let me see that this was what motivated me to study God’s word even more. This may not have been a motivator for others but it motivated me and by the age of 13, I was selected to teach a Sunday School class of 4, 5 and 6 year olds and until this day, I am a teacher of pre-schoolers. As I begin to teach, this strengthened my knowledge of the word even more. This is what the word does, it empowers. God also showed me how the Word is what came to my mind when I was confronted with choices as I began to date. He reminded me of a time when I was in a room with a guy as a young adult in college almost about to do some “fleshly” things. Before I was able to make the wrong choice, the word came to me that my body was God’s temple and that I was to keep it clean, pure, Holy and undefiled. I began to think about the story I taught on Joseph and had to do like Joseph did when he was in a compromising position with the king’s wife – Run! Read his story and see the reward he got for being faithful to the one who had rule over him in the natural. We too will be rewarded even more for being faithful to the ultimate ruler – God Almighty. As I heard T. D. Jakes, say “the Word will work if you work it”, I can testify that this is a true saying. I’m quite sure that there are times when you are confronted with making a decision to do what you know to be the right thing to do. I know that the word that you read and meditated on will empower you to choose to do what is right in the sight of God. Just as I was empowered through the reading, studying and meditating of God’s word, you can also be empowered by doing the same thing. As you mediate on the following scriptures, let the Holy Spirit continue to empower you to make the right choices to bring about a change in the situations, dilemmas and challenges that are faced today by you and the harvest of souls you will be praying for God to empower.

“Anytime you’re feeling weak, immediately the power of God’s word you should seek.”

No comments:

Post a Comment